Northern Ohio CoP’s own Bryan Wahl and Mark Seifried will share their Lean Congress presentation and lead a discussion about lessons learned at Congress. Their Presentation, Pennsylvania Department of General Services Infuses Lean to Transform Projects, is summarized below:
Pennsylvania’s Department of General Services goal is to demonstrate how new collaborative design management processes delivered higher levels of satisfaction and construction quality in less time, enhancing the value of services delivered to the citizens of the Commonwealth. This path allows Public Works to develop the skills and procedures that may provide, based upon the scope of individual projects, opportunities to utilize Lean Integrated Project Delivery (IPD). This new alternative approach to project delivery combines Lean management principles with an aligned team and contract structure empowered to collaborate and incentivized to drive down the cost of a project while delivering the agreed scope and quality desired by the Client Agency.
We will describe how new thinking will lead to positive change. They are:
- Integrate Lean Design Principles into Project Delivery
- Understand pre-construction project management process.
- Creating a posibite culture that allows each stakeholder to keep commitments
We will demonstrate how the project demands intensive collaboration, innovation, and enthusiasm between team members. Important takeaways include:
- How decision making can be made with quality information, at the appropriate time, and with the right stakeholders.
- How Target Values will be defined early and revisited throughout the design phase.
- How to create conditions of satisfaction.
- How to use continuous estimating throughout the design process.
Mark Seifried, PE, is the Managing Director at NV5, Inc., serving in the role of Project Director for the Design Professional team. Mark is a founding member of LCI’s new CoP established in Northern Ohio and has over 5 years of experience facilitating and coaching lean initiatives in both the design and construction phases of large-scale projects.
Bryan Wahl, AIA, is the Director in Integrated Design at Bostwick Design Partnership, where he has implemented the Intentional Design Process and has utilized the Last Planner System on many projects. Bryan is a leader in the national and local Lean community, attending, facilitating and presenting at LCI congress since 2016.